Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Animal Research Ethics at UW-Madison

An ongoing Forum on Animal Research Ethics (FARE) recently held an open discussion at University of Wisconsin-Madison.  In light of the University's unfortunate movement towards restarting research focusing on maternal deprivation with monkeys, I wanted to attend the event.  I wasn't able to, however, so I will list some of my questions and concerns here in hope that some of the stakeholders might read them.

  • I wonder if there might be a possibility of opening some of these labs to community inspections/visits? 
  • I would also like to see if there has ever been a cost benefit analysis done on animal research at UW?
  • I would also like to know what can be done with computer modeling - is it possible that animal research will be made redundant by it in the future?
  • Some of the tens of thousands of animals which are housed at the UW are quite dangerous due to what they are being tested on/with. Does the university have an emergency plan for how to deal with animals under its control should a natural disaster or terrorist attack occur?
Learn more about Maternal Deprivation experiments: http://www.allanimals.org/maternal-deprivation.html

No comments:

Post a Comment