Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Vote NO!!! on @WillyStreetCoop referendum to expand meat and dairy offerings

If you are a member of the Willy St. Co-op in Madison, Wisconsin, I encourage you to vote NO on the referendum to expand meat and dairy offerings through a $4 million dollar expansion at the store.  You can see my reasons why in the letters below, as well as print off and send in your own ballot to the Co-op.  The deadline is 6 p.m. on July 16th, so please hurry!!!



My letter to the coop on June 25th:
Hello,
With all due respect, I am concerned about the news release regarding the $4 million dollar expansion of Willy St. East.   
I am a proud owner and live just two blocks away.   
I dispute that an expanded meat and dairy section at our Co-Op is necessary.  While I do support the Co-Op's goal to buy from local producers that treat their animals well, it is a fact that animal-based agriculture is far less sustainable than plant foods.  Animal products require more fuel, more water, more land, and more energy to produce than food that is equally or more healthful.  These food sources also create more waste, and more dangerous to workers, and of course involve pain and suffering on the animals themselves.  
Additionally, dairy and meat products contain dangers that plants don't.  Red meat is carcinogenic, no matter how it is cooked.  Meat and dairy are known to lead to obesity and diabetes, which is at an epidemic level right now.  And I could go on and on.  Whole plant foods do not carry inherent risks like these.
I guess I would just ask whether the Co-op decision makers have considered this information, or if they disagree for some reason?  I urge them to reconsider expanding the meat and dairy sections at Willy East.  
I love the Co-Op, but as an 18-year long vegan who is committed to doing as much as possible to reduce my impact on the earth, I just don't think this is the right trend to be setting. 
Cheers,
Dan
The Co-op's response on July 1st:
Hi Dan, 
Thank you for your thoughtful comment, and for contributing your viewpoint on aspects of the remodel that weigh heavily for you.   
In regards to the meat and dairy section expansion, we have had many Owners who have requested an expanded meat section similar to Willy West.  Of course, we also have Owners like yourself (as well as myself) who do not eat meat and therefore would not benefit from such an expansion. 
Ultimately, there are a number of issues that the remodel hopes to address, and we are unclear as to what the final blueprints would be.  It is a challenge to make set plans when the original amount approved by Owners was $2 million, and the needs & wants list expands that cost quite a bit.  There are many other aspects of the remodel on the table though, well beyond meat and dairy expansion.   
What is important to note though is that, as a cooperative business owned by approximately 30,000 Owners, we constantly weigh conflicting interests.  We do our best to offer things that appeal to multiple diets and lifestyle choices.  Animal products will remain a huge tension and conflict with Owners; this is inevitable regardless of the remodel. There is unfortunately not an easy answer.  Yet, we are listening.  We continue to expand our vegan and vegetarian options based on Owner input, and will also attempt to expand our meat selection based on the same criteria.  There are other products, such as soy and gluten, that other Owners have strong feelings about as well.  There is no shortage of controversial ingredients, employment practices, and corporate interests in regards to food products.  I personally have very strong feelings in regards to labor conditions of those who grow, package, and prepare the food we sell, and also hope to reduce my impact on the earth. 
Somehow we still have to weigh and consider all of this, and try to make the best decisions as a cooperative.  We remain interested in your input, and appreciate your thoughts on this issue.
Best, 
Dawn Matlak
Interim Director of Cooperative Services
608.251.6776
My reply on July 1st:
Dear Dawn,
Thank you for your kind, intelligent, and personal note!  I admire what you all do, and encourage you to keep up the good work.  As a vegan activist I try to do all I can to tell other people what I know about the health, environmental, and ethical costs of meat and dairy.  
I do have to respect the choices of others, but I still want it to be an informed choice and not one that people take without being informed.  I am not sure that wanting something that Willy West has, just because they have it, passes what I would consider to be a critical and informed decision.  More like a gut decision if you ask me.  :)))) 
Best Regards,
Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment